President John Spurgeon of BNRC recently presented a cheque for £1,000 to Rod Slip the Chairman of The MS Society Centre at West Parley. The donation is from money raised at a Fund-Raising Dinner Dance held at the held at the Village Hotel, Bournemouth in October where 140 guests were entertained by internationally acclaimed artist Stan Terry with his amazing Rod Stewart act.
The donation will go towards the purchase of a new much needed electrically operated Physiotherapy Treatment Couch. Chairman Rod Slip said “that the donations made to the MS Centre by organisations such as Rotary made such a difference to the Society who are completely self-funding”.
President John said that “this is the third time recently that BNRC have been able to make donations to this brilliant organisation having previously assisted with IT Equipment and the newly completed Building Extension which provided a new Consulting Suite, Transport Office, Storage room and a much-needed additional disabled toilet”.
The MS Centre at West Parley provides the following facilities and activities:
- The Centre is a place to meet for; people with MS, their carers, volunteer helpers and supporters. Transport is arranged for the less able from and back to the surrounding areas. Lunch, coffee, tea and snacks are available at very reasonable cost. The garden is an ideal place to relax when the weather is kind or the quiet room when it is not.
- “MateS” is an Informal Group which encompasses younger members, recently diagnosed and anyone else who wishes to meet socially outside the more formal setting of the Centre.
- Regular meetings are held for carers of people with MS in the Bournemouth and local area. Carers do not have to be members of the branch.
- The centre has facilities for physiotherapy, yoga, hairdressing, bathing and recreation. Extensive literature about MS is available as is confidential one to one support. A small library of books, video tapes and audio cassettes are available to rent for a very small charge. The computer room has several accessible computers with broadband connection to the internet.
- The Branch publishes Miscellany Magazine about three times a year.
- The centre is the focal point for the management and organisation of the branch. There is a private office for support (welfare) officers where advice and guidance can be obtained on many issues of concern to members. There is also a consulting room available for appointments with MS professionals.
- The general offices deal with the day to day running of the branch, transport, fund raising and the organisation of social and charity events.
The Osborne Centre is situated in Church Lane, West Parley, Dorset, BH22 8TS
Tel: 01202 570300 (Office) or 01202 580391 (Transport)